Vine Street Fun in the Sun – the Home Edition!
A Collaboration between Maine Discovery Museum and Vine Street Schools’s 21st CCLC Program
Dear Parents and Guardians,
We are thrilled to announce that even though in-person programs at our schools will not be held this summer due to safety concerns surrounding COVID-19, we are able to offer a fun and engaging REMOTE SUMMER CAMP!
Welcome to Vine Street Fun in the Sun – the Home Edition! This program will offer students a variety of hands-on enrichment activities, lots of physical activity, and reading and math activities intended to help curb summer learning loss. This program offers a great mix of learning and fun that your child won’t want to miss!
How it Works: Students will receive a box of STEAM camp supplies to do labs, investigations, build, engineer, and play for each week they are enrolled. They will use google classroom and zoom meetings to connect with counselors, teachers, other campers, and the activity materials.
- STEAM Enrichment– fun activity prompts and video lessons will be available to support the science explorations. Children can do the activities and labs at their own pace each day and document them in their journals. Exciting discoveries, strange lab results, fun surprises, and mind-boggling mysteries can be shared in the buddy group and science problems solved together. Each week will have a different focus and all new activities!
- Buddy Groups – Each camper will be assigned to a Buddy Group led by one of our camp counselors! Buddy Groups meet on zoom for about an hour each day to check-in, say “Hi” to their friends, share exciting science discoveries and amazing creations, and to read together.
- 1-on-1 math and language arts tutoring – Each camper will have an opportunity for a one-on-one with a teacher on zoom to do math and language arts activities that will help keep them on track for the start of school in the fall. On days children don’t have tutoring appointment, they can complete fun math and language arts challenges and games independently from google classroom. Camp counselors may be available for additional 1-on-1 support over zoom if needed.
- Reading – Children will get a reading “passport” to track their reading minutes each day, and enter to win prizes at the end of camp. 20 minutes of reading with your Buddy Group and 20 minutes independently each day will be encouraged
Summer Science Camp in a Box with the Maine Discovery Museum
Each Monday get a different age and grade appropriate big box or bag full of amazing STEAM discoveries! Everything your child needs learning and having fun: cool experiments, amazing labs, stuff and materials for inventing, making art, learning and creating……with some treasures and prizes just for fun!
Kits and activities will have extra ideas, resources, worksheets for reading, math and more explorations, virtual support with live and pre-recorded demonstrations, animal times from the museum and chats with your teachers.
So much fun! Sign up for one or more, or all four weeks!
|July 6 – 10||Chemistry Mysteries|
|July 13 – 17||Science goes Zoom! Things that go!|
|July 20 – 24||Amazing Nature Discoveries|
|July 27 – 31||Wonderlab Science Fun!|
What fun activities will you unbox?
The science of Superheroes, Spy Science, Color Chemistry Lab, The Secrets of Slime,
Magic Science Tricks, magical beasties and worlds, Science Goes Zoom-Kaboom!
Amazing Nature Mysteries……….and so much more!
Registration: Only for students attending grades K-3 at Vine Street School in the Fall of 2020!
Space is limited! Spots will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
Please enroll online at Vine Street Fun in the Sun 2020 Home Edition Online Registration
*Students are signed up for a week at a time. Due to the nature of this program, we expect your child to be engaged and participating each day. If your child is absent from online communication with staff two or more days in a single week without reasonable cause, his/her spot will be filled by a child from the waiting list for the remainder of the summer program.
Registration Due Dates: Students need to be registered by June 19th in order to participate.
Fee: There is no fee, but donations are encouraged. Donate online now or make a check payable to Bangor School Department with Vine Street 21CCLC in the memo portion, and mail to Vine Street School.
Eligibility: This program is open to all children attending grades K-3 at Vine Street School during the 2020-2021 academic year.
Camp Locations: This program is conducted remotely. Students will connect online from their own homes.
Camp Hours: Buddy Groups meet daily 9:00 am – 10:00 am. Tutoring appointments will be scheduled individually and repeat at the same time each week. The rest of the work is done on your own time. We expect campers to spend about 3 hours engaged in camp each day (a combination of their zoom meetings and independent work.)
Breakfast & Lunch: Meals will be provided by the summer meals program and delivered to you! Meal deliveries are for multiple days at a time and occur on Sundays between 1pm and 6pm (along with your STEAM kit) and Wednesdays between 1pm and 6pm. The meal program requires staff to confirm the meal has entered the home before they can complete the “drop.” You can run out and grab it off your steps, wave from the window, or call/text with staff to accomplish this. More information on this is in the registration form.
Campers are expected to conduct themselves appropriately.
If something is not okay at school, it is not okay in camp zoom meetings.
Specifically, campers should:
- Be properly dressed
- Sit upright and pay attention
- Leave distractions out of reach
- Use appropriate language
- Make sure that decorations, objects, and other people in their space are all school-appropriate
- Show kindness and respect at all times
- Follow directions and requests from staff
Students who fail to adhere to our behavior standards may be removed from the program. Staff can mute or remove a camper from a zoom meeting at any time without warning to block inappropriate content from other campers.